COPYRIGHT (C) 2010 J D FRODSHAM

Creative Commons License
Late Harvest by J D Frodsham is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at j.frodsham@murdoch.edu.au.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Delphic Papyrus: Julian II in Greece (351 C.E.)




Delphic Papyrus: Julian II in Greece (351 C.E.)

                                         
O western wind when will you blow
That the small rain down may rain?
Christ!  That my love were in my arms
And I in her bed again.
                         
                              I

Since she departed, leaving me bereft,
I find my verse turned sepulchre to grief.
‘Shattered is the dark bowl of the sky,
 Cerulean stars shimmer among the shards.
Out of the gorge, the night wind wailing whirls,
 I stare at darkness, waiting for the dawn.
Black showers drizzle on a stranger’s roof,[i]
Lowering Parnassian clouds, swollen with rain.’
Driven to write most bitter lines tonight.
‘I loved her long ago she loved me too.

Our horses took us from the harbour town
Into the shadow of Phaedriades.[ii]
Turning, we saw the blue beard of the god, [iii]
The great earth-shaker, glint through distant pines.
The mountain air grew sweeter as we climbed
Towards those hallowed precincts.  Omphalos!
The navel of the earth where Python slept
Until Apollo slew his Pythian wife.
We passed the cross roads where the Club-foot[iv] killed
The king whose murder cost him both his eyes.

Her horse shied at a snake; I scotched it fast;
This spangled band was sacred to the god.
An evil omen which I soon forgot
Only concerned she had sustained no harm,
Iris, whose dazzling temple I revered,
Dark goddess before whom I knelt and prayed.
I was her suppliant; she ruled my life
As she has ruled me now ten thousand years.
Through Delphic nights I held her in my arms,
Or kissed her feet by the Castalian spring.[v]
The goddess loved me then as I loved her,
Drowned in the darkness of her eyes, her hair.
My long devotions led but to despair.’
                                     
                                II

Driven to write such desperate lines tonight.
‘My pen wounds the papyrus. Black ink bleeds.
Life after life, wasted in wistful longing.
The Tripod-borne[vi] had warned us of our fate.
Out of the past, a woman rises chanting.
Long centuries!   Soon black earth covers all.
Selene’s moon whitens ghost tamarisks,[vii]
Cruel Eros is far older than her moon.
Cold centuries sift past us. Ashes, dust.
Again I hear the Pythia’s[viii] cry, entranced.

‘Know thine own self,’ Phoebus Apollo said.[ix].
We did not know each other or our selves.
Who waited for her by the Sanctuary,
In awe at midnight, braving the god’s wrath?
The window shutters rattle in the gusts.
The Oracle still mutters through the wind.
Whose voice yet echoes on the Sacred Way?
Sandals click sharp on steps, then die away.

I love her still, as I adored her then.
So sweet is love. So bitter our forgetting.
Love suffers most when checked at love’s begetting.             
                           
                             III

The god decreed the years should divide us
As the deep gorge at Delphi rifts the vale,
And we should but clasp hands across the chasm
Whence strange miasmas craze his Oracle.
An angry god decreed our severance be
And laid between us salt, estranging sea.[x]
She is another’s now.  Once mine her kisses,
Her hair, her mouth, her breasts, her Stygian eyes.
Her Stygian eyes!  Would they had been Lethean
Whose drowsy waters force us to forget!
I would have drunken deep of springs Lethean
Not drowned in those dark eyes that haunt me yet.

I loved her far, far more than I loved life.
Such bitter love!  So sweet can be forgetting.
She is another’s now.  He tastes her mouth,
Her milk-white breasts… I would tear out my eyes!
Tear out my eyes tormented with such sights,
Mad Oedipus, plunging himself in night.

Invidious eyes!  For, nailed to Ixion’s wheel,[xi]
Hot tears of longing scald like molten steel.
Marsyas[xii] flayed was nought to what I feel!

I writhe in torments all endured in vain
Since the tormentor gnaws on his own pain.
And once devoured the raw flesh grows again![xiii]

Apollo’s arrows!  Sharp the arrow shower
That took my life, war after endless war.
Electuary, herbs or Cnossian wine[xiv]
Shall never heal this festering wound of mine.
                                
 O Iris, Iris!  Rent from you by years
 Flavius has now no offering but tears
And you are left alone with what?   Your fears?                          
                                                               
                                    IV

Through nights like this I clasped her in my arms,
Whispering our names, to lull us both to sleep.
She comes to me in dreams. I dream I wake
And waking dream that she is mine again.
Last night, I thought god stood beside this bed
And taunted me, flayed live like Marsyas.
Yet it was but the night wind from the Gulf[xv]
Mocking my fate, as flickering shadows danced.
The snake I killed returns; its fangs sink deep.
Sharp poison scalds my veins again in sleep.

Is there one more rejection I must suffer? 
Is this the last poem I shall write for her?

If she and I had only known or guessed!
The night wind moaning, blows not from the west.[xvi]

If only she and I had guessed or known!
If only she lay in my arms till dawn!
Like Sophocles, I wish I were not born.[xvii]


[i]  After the Christian closure of Delphi, the site was settled by immigrant Slavs.
[ii]  The semicircular spur of Mount Parnassus, overlooking the Phlocis valley.
[iii] Poseidon, who ruled the sea.
[iv]  Oedipus, who unknowingly killed his father here.
[v]   A Delphic fountain whose waters are said to inspire poets.
[vi] Apollo’s Oracle, a woman, sat on a three-legged stool. The Oracle did not predict the future, but gave guidance.
[vii] The moon goddess, Selene, was sometimes associated with tamarix aphylla..
[viii] The oracle.
[ix] Gnothi seauton  was inscribed on the temple of Apollo at Delphi.
[x] Cf. Arnold, To Marguerite.
[xi] A king of the Lapiths who, for offending Hera, was nailed forever to a revolving wheel of fire.
[xii] A flute-player who challenged Apollo to a musical contest.  When he lost, Apollo had him flayed alive.
[xiii]  As with Prometheus, whose liver was torn out by eagles only to grow afresh.
[xiv] Wine from Cnosson, Crete, was held to have curative properties.
[xv]  The Gulf of Corinth, fifteen kilometers from Delphi.
[xvi] See epigraph above.  ‘O western wind…’
[xvii]  Sophocles is said to have expressed this wish



COPYRIGHT (C) 2010 J D FRODSHAM

No comments:

Post a Comment