COPYRIGHT (C) 2010 J D FRODSHAM

Creative Commons License
Late Harvest by J D Frodsham is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 Australia License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at j.frodsham@murdoch.edu.au.

Monday, February 8, 2010

Animals



Animals

M
y silky terrier bitch, Tippy, became so deeply attached to another small dog, Mate, that they were inseparable. When Mate died, Tippy simply pined away. Although she had always been timid and afraid of cars, she would lie down in the middle of the road as though she wanted to be run over. Eventually, she stopped eating and died. Few human beings are even remotely capable of such devotion.  Psychiatrists would call it ‘neurotic’.
            When Prema was introduced to the house as a mischievous kitten, our resident cat, Sai Ram, resented him deeply. Later, as he matured, she became attached to him and would follow him everywhere. They slept together, licking and grooming each other affectionately. When Prema was run over by a drunken driver, at the age of two, Sai Ram was disconsolate. Though always an indoor cat, she took to living outside on the drive, in bushes close to the spot where he had been killed, and was not restored to normality again until we moved to another house over two years later. She reminded me of a traditional Chinese widow, who was forced by custom to sleep next to her husband’s grave for three years. Sai Ram, however, carried out this mourning ritual of her own accord. More neurosis, we would say.
            “Animals do not whine about their condition”, wrote Whitman. Our cat, Jaya, who came to us as a forlorn, frightened stray, began to grow thin and shed fur in clumps all over the house. The vet could not diagnose his condition, but prescribed various forms of treatment, all to no avail. Jaya was as affectionate as ever, purring endlessly. I noticed, however, that he would lash his tail from side to side at times, a sure sign that he was in pain. Eventually, his condition grew so severe that the vet decided to operate. He died on the operating table. He had inoperable pancreatic cancer, invariably fatal even in human beings, probably acquired during his years of living rough on the streets, eating garbage and drinking contaminated water. He must have been in agony, so the vet told us. His purring, which I had misinterpreted as a form of content, was in reality a sort of mantra with which to comfort himself and dull the pain. “He was such a brave, loving cat”, said my wife, tearfully. Descartes, who taught us to regard animals as machines, a doctrine evoked by vivisectors, overlooked something important.
            The devotion and affection given by dogs to their owners is only rarely found in their owners. It is not transferable.
            ‘Dogs have masters, cats have staff’. Agreed. But don’t forget that cats pay their staff in a rare coinage.
            When I was seven, my pet cocker spaniel, Judy, ate Oscar, my pet tortoise. I had thought they were friends, for they both slept on my bed, but came home one afternoon to find Judy had turned Oscar over, bitten through his shell and had her blood-stained muzzle deep in his innards. Horrified, I was inconsolable for days and could never feel the same towards Judy again. Children’s characters are often shaped by incidents like this, which suddenly bring sharply home to them that life is not a fairytale, appearances can be deceptive and death is final. This is one reason why children who have pets grow up to be better adjusted that those deprived of them.
            There exists a confraternity of dog owners, some of whose members subscribe to Madame Roland’s dictum, “The more I see of men, the more I like dogs." [1] No feminist has ever rushed forward to correct this bon mot, on the grounds that it is sexist. “The more I see of wimmin, the more I like (the) bitches”, clearly won’t do. Nor will this observation translate into PC-Speak. “The more I see of persons, the more I am equally attracted to both dogs and bitches,” could never be considered politically correct, if only because it sounds suspiciously deviant. After all, some of these animals might still be immature, which could lead to accusations of puppy paedophilia.
            While driving,  I frequently encounter trucks full of wretched, dirty sheep, jammed together remorselessly on their way to the abattoirs or worse, to the ships of the live sheep trade that transports them to the Gulf for Halal ritual slaughter. Their pitiful bleating reminds me of Mencius’s dictum about “the gentleman keeping his kitchens at a distance”. I believe the king in question (Hui of Liang) did so, not out of compassion, as Mencius thought, but simply out of squeamishness. Had he been truly compassionate he would have been a vegetarian. Like many others, I have a bad conscience about eating meat. But having tried a vegetarian diet, only to find it made me ill, I am forced to go on doing something which I find highly distasteful. These sheep trucks, reminiscent of the transports used in the Holocaust, awaken my conscience, reminding me continually that the Buddha was right; all life is suffering and we ourselves cause a great deal of the distress and despair that permeates this planet.
            When I feed the birds in my garden, I notice how the alphas among them spend so much time driving off their rivals that they hardly have the chance to eat. They remind me of exhausted executives, so busy frantically fighting off their competition that they barely have a moment’s leisure. Watching birds and animals closely can tell us a great deal about ourselves; for instance, that alphas, though necessary, generally make life a misery for themselves and others and often die prematurely.
            I was eating my lunch under a tree in the university gardens when I noticed a solitary rabbit browsing contentedly about twenty metres away, heedless of the cars that passed it. However, when I scratched the grass slightly with my fingers, it froze, instantly alert to danger. I marvelled at the evolution, over tens of millions of years, of a brain that could detect a virtually inaudible noise amid the hubbub of the passing traffic and interpret it as a signal for possible flight. If only we could learn to recover that sense of relaxed alertness which we must once have had but now have lost, we would not succumb to the stress that kills many of us.
            Experiments have shown that animals deliberately infected with disease pathogens often stay healthy, provided they are frequently stroked and petted. If they do fall ill they tend to recover, while the neglected animals in the control group almost invariably die. No better proof could be given of the universal need for affectionate body contact. Yet we have evolved a sick and paranoid social system which increasingly discourages such contact. Like most grandfathers today, I dare not kiss, hug or caress my own grandchildren, especially the girls, for fear of being accused of abusing them. I even avoid being left alone with them, which means I can never agree to act as a babysitter. I am far closer to my dog and cat than to my grandchildren, for the animals trust me while my grandchildren have been systematically trained at school not to trust any adult except their mother. Some fathers have told me, in confidence, that they feel much the same way about their daughters, from whom they are becoming estranged. From what we have learnt from these experiments with animals, the consequences of this deprivation may eventually be deeply detrimental to the physical and mental health of the children concerned.  





[1] This actually derives from A. Toussenel (1803-1885), L’esprit des betes (1847). Madame Roland seems, commendably, to have borrowed and shortened the original.

COPYRIGHT (C) 2010 J D FRODSHAM

No comments:

Post a Comment